Friday, March 4, 2011

Running in the rain!


I´m runnin´ in the rain
Just runnin´ in the rain,
What a glorious feeling,
And I´m happy again.
I´m laughing at clouds
So dark, up above,
The sun´s in my heart
And I´m ready for love.

Let the stormy clouds chase.
Everyone from the place,
Come on with the rain
I have a smile on my face.
I´ll run down the lane
With a happy refrain
Just runnin', runnin' in the rain.

With thanks to Frank Sinatra.
Seriously,how absolutely glorious it is that today was warm enough for rain! I'd spent the majority of the day working on some job  applications (for some especially cool jobs, in fact - so I was being  extra anal), but when the first drops started hitting the the window  beside my desk, I literally sprang from my chair into running clothes  and out the door. And my rainy run was truly fab - I did another 7  (seems to be the popular length of the week) and I loved it. :) I had  my new playlist of tunes for a soundtrack and was loving that too.
Some examples:
The Black Keys (Brothers album)
Lady Gaga – Born This Way – I'm on the right track baby, I was born this way is a theme I can get behind at this moment ;)
Katy Perry – Firework
Death from Above 1979
Bob Marley
New Glee
Here I am belting out one of the above on  my return home after today's run.
Yesterday, I learned how to use APPS on my iPhone. Yes, I know I am the  last person to jump on that bandwagon. However, I just inherited my secondhand smartphone this winter. And although it is capable of doing awesome things like internet and apps, I didn't think I could take advantage of either of those things, because it's only a smartphone on the outside. Inside, it's a motorola razor. So while it may not currently provide me with internet access, I have learned that I can use apps without being connected. So I downloaded about a dozen yesterday – everything from push-up apps to nutrition trackers to the iMapMyRun app.
Here I am being extremely excited about the  potential of this app before
yesterday's 7k.
It was a bit of a hilarious adventure. First ofall, I didn't know to turn off  the voice feedback option. And because I had my music from my iPod  on and my phone was tucked into my jacket pocket, I didn't realize this  until the end of my route. When I first began running, I thought I could  hear voices, so I kept twisting and turning, looking around me for  whoever was following me and talking continuously. Seeing no one, I  shrugged and kept running. Later, as people waiting at bus stops and  walking towards me were giving me strange looks, I figured the voices  must be real. Then I started worrying that I'd pocket-dialed someone –  like a potential employer. However, it was just an automated voice  telling me how far I'd gone.
My verdict? I really liked that it tracked my route. However, since I was not super adventurous and just running a loop through the park and around my neighborhood, there was little danger of me getting lost. The feature I was most excited about with this app was the potential for me to learn my pace! I have never known my pace outside, because I don't have a fancy watch. (I used to run with a polar heart strap, but that is currently sitting on the floor somewhere with a dead battery.) Alas, I still don't know my pace. It may have announced my pace without me hearing it, or displayed it while I was actually in motion, but I missed it. There was a message about going online to check out “more stats about my run” so perhaps I will find still be able to find my pace. I am still excited about knowing it, and being able to not only track it but compare it to my speed on the treadmill. Do you use this app? Can you help me  get the most out of it? I want to pretend like it's my Garmin. :)
My sister also sent some pics of my custom Christmas chocolate bars that I thought I'd share with you today, because it is a Friday after all, and no better time for chocolate!
The darker one I named after this blog. It contained (briefly, before it was inhaled by my family members and myself) silver flakes, dried raspberries, cashews and dark chocolate. The other was Carrie's Berry Blast, and it was white chocolate with blueberries, rice krispies, pecans and star confetti. Delicious. :) I essentially did this with them:
Hope you have a happy, run and/or chocolate filled weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment