Sunday, March 13, 2011

Slushy Sunday strides

(perhaps by overdoing it, I will cure myself of my obsession with alliteration in titles)

Well, hi!

Today has been a great day. I had my longest long run in month - 20k! I'm still super thrilled about this.

Victorious fist-pump!

I also went out with the Running Room run club for the first time in a reeeeeeally long time. I used to go a lot with my ladies in London (I miss it!!). But this was actually only my third run with the local club, because of my knee/going home to the range/China adventures. Lots of fun!

I don't really know anyone at the club yet (the two people I do know weren't there today), but these things take time....and regular attendance, I know. So it wasn't an especially social experience today - I think I spent about 7 minutes out of slightly more than two hours talking to other runners. However, I'm hoping they recognize me when I'm back for more next weekend!

One of the other things that I really enjoy about group running is the pre-planned routes. I tend to run around the same paths and sidewalks around my home these days. Not out of a lack of adventurousness, but because this particular set of routes is mainly clear of snow, slush and ice. When I first moved here, I was really motivated about finding all of the best trails and really exploring the city on foot, like I did when I first moved to London. However, I moved to London in July. There was already snow on the ground when I arrived at my new home, and it hasn't left since. Then there was the knee and some travels, of course. In general, I've been opting for the routes that don't bear much resemblance to an obstacle course in light of my injury and the need to be ready for my next rapidly-approaching marathon.

So getting out with the group meant that I was on some roads less-traveled. Sometimes literally, but when I'm with a pack I feel a lot more confident being actually in the road as opposed to on the sidewalk. The weather was awesome - overcast but warm. On the road it was a little wet and slushy, but I don't mind that - after all, it beats ice! We went kept the pace pretty slow and did ten and ones. It ended up being a recipe for success  - I really enjoyed myself and experienced no pain. Happy knee, great hydration...and I put some m & m's in my pocket, which was probably the best idea I've had in my lifetime. LOVED them around the 15k mark!

After the run I had the breakfast of champions at Starbucks, then came home where I engaged in life-planning and youtube-watching for the rest of the day. Good times!

How was your weekend? :)

1 comment:

  1. Running groups are an awesome way to get to know people and get familiar with an area. Don't be too shy to speak up!!

    ReplyDelete